Automatic Csh rehashing?

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Tue Jun 12 14:07:56 AEST 1984

Actually, simply logging in on a loaded system can be quite a pain
when the C shell goes to hash $path.  I've occasionally logged in
and had to wait 5 minutes or more before the ``set path'' completed.
(I have my .cshrc set up to print ``['' as it starts, and ``cshrc]''
after the ``set path''; that's how I know how long it takes.)

Here's my counter-proposal:  don't initialize the hash list all at
once.  Instead, every time a command works (except for those in
``.'' of course), put *that* in the list.  Voila!  No ``rehash''
required (unless you just installed /usr/local/bin/make and want
to get that instead of /usr/bin/make), and no initial startup
delays.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland