Symbolic WCHAN for 4.[12] ps.

Joe Kelsey joe at fluke.UUCP
Sat Mar 17 03:17:37 AEST 1984

The VMS implementation of ^T (on version 3.0 and later) imlements ^t as
an out-of-band character which DCL catches and then prints some vaguely
informative message.  It has always seemed to me that UNIX needs some
more flexible out-of-band character handling than the current mapping
of specific control characters to signals.  Notice the proliferation of
character tables in the new tty driver to handle all of the Berkeley
features.  Many of these features could quite easily be handled with
some sort of generalized break character mechanism - and probably more
efficiently too!  TOPS-20 has had user settable break masks ever since
it was TENEX and VMS has also had more or less flexible break masks (In
version 3.0, the break mask grew from 32 bits (control characters only)
to variable sized masks from 8 bits to 256 bits (all 8-bit ASCII
characters!)  Some things, like command completion and prompting (added
to the csh using the only break character allowed!) would work much
better with a read termination mask instead of signals.  It's probably
too late to try to pull out all of the local character garbage from the
new tty driver and replace it with some sort of more flexible
mechanism, but it's a nice wish.  Too bad I don't have the time to
really think about doing it...

/Joe