Using terminals at 19.2 kbaud on 4.2

scw at UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA scw at UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
Sun Mar 18 03:05:00 AEST 1984

From:  Steve Woods <cepu!scw at UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>

	I have seen several references to using 19.2B on a
	VAX 11/780. Is this with a DZ11? I asked our local
	DEC field service engineers about any way to use the
	DZ11 with an external clock (or something) to go
	beyond 9600, but they didn't have any ideas.
	If anyone has experiance with 19.2 on a VAX, I would
	appreciate any information that could be passed on.
		Thanks,
			Kurt Vangsness
			AT&T - Bell Laboratories, Naperville, Ill
			ihnp4!ih1ap!kav

The DZ-11 is quite capabile of running at 19.2K baud.  The DZ-11 control
registers have a 4 bit wide filed that is used to define the speed of the
selected line. The speed with all 4 bits set (refered to in the manual as
reserved for diagnostic use) is 19200 baud.  If you have a terminal that
can handle 19.2K baud hook it up to a line and run the DEC DZ diags.  To
use the Line at 19.2 K you have 2 choices in setting up the ioctl,(1) you
can use exta or extb as the 19.2 specifier or (2) you can add an additional
define to <tty.h> (is that the right one?  I'm writting thst from home
w/o any manuals) and hack up stty to know about it.  In either case, don't
forget to modify getty to use the appropriate speed.
<scw>