BSD job control

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Sat Mar 31 01:54:45 AEST 1984

~|  From: jbf at ccieng5.UUCP (Jens Bernhard Fiederer)
~|  I regard job control as the single most important extension I have come
~|  across.  It has made my work considerably simpler.  Want to test your
~|  record locking algorithms for conflict resolution?  No need to get two
~|  terminals (or a blit)!  Want to edit several files at once?
~|
~|  How anybody can flame at this facility is beyond me.

I rarely need to test record locking. But I do edit several files at
once. Using job control for this is the wrong approach, since you
don't have the right co-ordination between all the files you're working
on. (I use qed all the time on multiple files, on an 11/23 as well as
a VAX.)

Anyway, you can always escape from any editor to invoke another instance
of it.

I don't deny that job control has its uses. But editing multiple files
sure isn't a justification.

Dave Sherman
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave