[on troff and cut marks]

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Mar 21 16:31:20 AEST 1984

I'm not convinced that using an ".if !\nv .tl ..." or equivalent
is the right way to make cut marks optional.  As far as I can tell,
the marks ought to be generated only for certain devices (or in
some cases -- such as the V80 which uses either fanfold or roll
paper -- for certain devices but not always).  Therefore it seems
to me that the cut marks should not be in the troff macros but in
the device driver (yes I realize that troff talks only to C/A/T
typesetters; I mean the conversion program [vcat] or in the case
of ditroff the postprocessor).

Does this not make sense?  If not, why not?
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris.umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay