System V - RA81??? Good news / Bad news

59577 wcs at ho95b.UUCP
Fri May 25 05:32:12 AEST 1984

>	"Has anyone installed System V on a 750 with RA81's?  It
>	appears from the documentation to be impossible..."

Surprise!  DEC didn't warn us about that when they sold us our
system, either.  We have a driver that our local computer center
put together, but  it's only one of their early versions, and
it's not production quality.  I don't know if they've fixed it
yet.  The problem seems to be getting a
UDA50 Unibus disk controller driver working well; our
single-Unibus system occasionally gets deadlocked and freezes
(the lights go out on the disk drive and even the system clock
stops.)

However, DEC has a driver for System V, which several sites here
have beta-test versions of, and they're working on a System V
Release 2 upgrade of it.  The DEC Beta-version supposedly works very well.
Maybe your local DEC sales person can get you a copy.  The DEC
person we've dealt with is Dave Lehnert (sp?); our local DEC
office is +1-201-946-9403.
--
The virtual keyboard of:
				Bill Stewart