ditroff - horizontal/vertical resolution question

Phil Ronzone phil at unisoft.UUCP
Wed May 30 10:46:19 AEST 1984

Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Subject: Re: ditroff - horizontal/vertical resolution question

>> I set up a ditroff device, giving it a DESC file which looks like:
>>
>> 	# Flakey DITroff Description file
>> 	fonts 6 R I B CW S M
>> 	sizes 12 0
>> 	unitwidth 12
>> 	res 60
>> 	hor 6
>> 	vert 5 ...
>>
>> I expected that this would allow horizontal montion only in multiples
>> of 6 basic units.  However I discovered that this makes the MINIMAL
>> horizontal motion be 6 units, but anything (like 8 or 13) greater than
>> 6 will also be generated.  What I wanted was different horizontal and
>> vertical resolutions.
>>
>> Is it possible to specify different horizontal and vertical
>> resolutions, like one can for nroff devices?

Yes - one nasty little surprise is the default page offset is still
(of course) the troff value of 26/27'ths of an inch (don't ask why, sigh).
Problem seems to be in page offset not being equal to a multiple
of `hor', the horizontal increments are off from then on.
Try `.po 0' -- it should fix it right off. Also recommend res = hor * vert;

Phil Ronzone
UniSoft