deceptive mail

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Sun Nov 11 22:34:35 AEST 1984

I owe the net a sincere apology:

>	You must be new to the net.
>
>	When encountering a bug like this, with such nightmarish security
>consequences, do NOT POST IT!!   Instead, post a note stating that you will
>send the bug report to site!root for all sites from which you receive
>mail from site!root.
>
>	Why?  It's now 11:03 on a Saturday morning here...your article
>has been on our system for about 2 hours...and already people are starting
>to exploit the bug.

I received the above response to my recent posting.  I didn't realize the
potential consequences of spreading the information.  I am not new to the net,
I just didn't think.  My apologies to all sites for whom this has caused
problems.
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont