Looking for feedback on VAX 11/782 upgrade and Un*x

boyle at ANL-MCS.ARPA boyle at ANL-MCS.ARPA
Fri Nov 30 02:10:12 AEST 1984

Re:  message of Daryl G Johnson

You might want to contact the folks at Purdue about doing a
Purdue-style upgrade to your 780.  Not only is it cheaper (about $75k
including FPA), but they have modified 4.2 (and 4.1) to use it.  (In
this upgrage, the second CPU replaces the terminator on the right end
of the SBI; hence it shares access to everything on the SBI.)  After
some negotiation, we persuaded our local DEC maintenance office to
install the second CPU and maintain the system.

We have not yet used the second CPU extensively (no 4.2 license yet),
but we have tested it, and it seems to work fine.