instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases

Peter DaSilva peter at kitty.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 06:53:31 AEST 1985

> > Most real world UNIX systems are STILL descendents of V7.
>
> Must be an alternate universe (see net.physics).

Replace "real world" by "outside AT&T". WHat AT&T does internally on their
3B20Ds is pretty much irrelevent to what I want to do on my PDP-11. IBM is
pretty braindamaged but even they don't require you to run MVS on your XT. AT&T
was quite happy with having an external and an internal system before System
III.

Also most "non AT&T" UNIX systems predate System V. The ones that claim to be
System III are almost all Microsoft or Unisoft releases and are V7 with
SIII patches (which is why I didn't have to know about MIN & TIME when I was
working on Xenix 3.0. Nice of Microsoft to tell me).