auto-niceing processes?

Sean Casey sean at ukma.UUCP
Tue Aug 13 05:59:55 AEST 1985

In article <3086 at nsc.UUCP> chuqui at nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>The problem we're running into is simply large amounts of development
>going on -- yesterday I found that we had 15 makes and a troff running
>simultaneously, and only two of the makes were niced. Even on a 780, this
>makes using emacs, vi, or even logging out relatively painful. What I want
>to do is give the foreground, terminal based processes priority without
>having to manually keep an eye on things...

You might look into the Load Control System by Keith Muller.  With it, one
can control the use of cpu-intensive non-interactive programs based upon
the load average.  It has worked quite well here (until we got BRL 4.2, more
on that in net.sources.bugs).

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	sean at ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics			{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean