auto-niceing processes?

Michael Meissner meissner at rtp47.UUCP
Fri Aug 9 08:24:38 AEST 1985

In article <3086 at nsc.UUCP> chuqui at nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Has anyone out there done any work on setting up certain processes so that
>they automatically nice themselves? I know it can be done by adding
>hardcoded nice() calls to a program and recompiling, but that doesn't seem
>elegant to me -- it also doesn't allow you to deal with programs you don't
>have control of the source. ....

Some thoughts:

    1)	You could have some aging scheme that does the nice automatically,
	after delta amount of time if the program doesn't generate console
	activity.

    2)	Modify the shells, so that anything put into the backround (with &)
	would be automatically niced before exec'ing in the child context.

    3)	Move the offending commands elsewhere, and replace them with a shell
	script (or C program) of the form:
		exec nice -10 /bin/real_cmd $*

	Michael Meissner
	Data General
	...{ ihnp4, decvax }!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!meissner