instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases (absurdly long)

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Wed Aug 21 04:00:38 AEST 1985

> From *both* viewpoints, it is simpler to have pagination available in the
> tty driver.  This means that the implementors don't have to kludge it into
> every program, and the users need neither lightning reflexes nor high
> sophistication.	 Try it, you'll like it.

I have tried it.  I have yet to see a kernel based pagination scheme which I
liked.  I have seen a few that I liked less than typing ^S/^Q myself.  The
advantage of not having pagination in the kernel is the ability to have
tailored paginators.

Although, the TRIX operating system (done at MIT) would allow the kernel
tty handler to call user code for pagination with as little (or as much)
trouble as switching to any other kernel thread...  Perhaps we are at the
point where UNIX is retarding, rather than advancing, development of new
ideas.

> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

Oh, Henry, Henry, Henry.  And I thought you had such good taste.  Version 6
didn't have pagination, after all. ;-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA