HELP!! SVr2 grow filesystem panic!!

MALEK am at vilya.UUCP
Wed Aug 28 08:16:26 AEST 1985

> My news filesystem is running out of space, so I decided to move it
> and double its size.

> Next, I mounted both the new and old filesystems.  (I also fsck'd them
> prior to mounting and they were clean.)  I tried to 'cpio -p' from
> one to the other.  No dice; cpio gave me "Too many links" and, contrary
> to the man page which says that it will just forget about links at
> that point, it scrogged the new fs totally.  I tried this twice.

 Please try checking that your mkfs(1m) was run with the proper options.
You may not have given the new file system enough inodes; The news
filesystem has relatively more files than many filesystems.
If you still have problems, use cpio -o and copy back with cpio -i, so
you will be sure where the problem is coming from.
	These cpio's can be done with a simple shell for each subdirectory
if necessary.
		Avi Malek
--
Avi Malek @ATT Bell Labs Parsippany, NJ