HELP!! SVr2 grow filesystem panic!!

x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Wed Aug 28 07:34:45 AEST 1985

_From Curtis Jackson:
> Firstly:  We are running SysVr2 on a Vax 11/780 with 4meg of memory
> and a process size limit of 2meg.
>
> My news filesystem is running out of space, so I decided to move it
> and double its size.  I tried volcopy, forgetting that no matter what
> size you make the new (larger) filesystem as your destination, volcopy
> kicks its size back down to that of the 'from' filesystem.
>
> Next, I mounted both the new and old filesystems.  (I also fsck'd them
> prior to mounting and they were clean.)  I tried to 'cpio -p' from
> one to the other.  No dice; cpio gave me "Too many links" and, contrary
> to the man page which says that it will just forget about links at
> that point, it scrogged the new fs totally.  I tried this twice.
> 1) If I run dcopy in single-user mode, will that override the per-process
> size limit of 2 meg and allow it to get more memory?
To override the per-process limit, you need to set your ulimit bigger.
Become superuser and type "ulimit 100000".  Unfortunately, ulimit affects both
process size and max file size (flame, flame).  Maybe this will help, although
there may be other limits as well.

I've never had cpio die from too many links, but netnews has a way of hitting
	program limits that haven't been stressed before.  Maybe the large
	ulimit will help.

Two other approaches: use tar instead of cpio, and use find.
The manual page for tar gives this method:
	cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -)
Alternatively, use a brute-force find:
	cd $OLDFS
	find . -type d -exec mkdir "$NEWFS"{} \;
	find . -exec cp {} "$NEWFS"{} \;
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs