ls -C considered harmful (really ls follies)

Brent P. Callaghan brent at poseidon.UUCP
Fri Aug 16 00:06:26 AEST 1985

>Do you realize that for all the billions and billions of options hacked
>into ls, I've never seen a version of ls that can sort files based on size?
>shoe size of the programmer maybe, but never file size....

This reminded me of the file listing command of the Burroughs
large systems MCP.  It sorted filenames first on length
of name (short names first), then alphabetically.
It was surprisingly easy to locate a file given a rough idea of
its length, and it produced a pretty pattern on the screen!
--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ