ls -C considered harmful (really ls follies)

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.UUCP
Fri Aug 16 10:39:43 AEST 1985

In article <3123 at nsc.UUCP> chuqui at nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Do you realize that for all the billions and billions of options hacked
>into ls, I've never seen a version of ls that can sort files based on size?

Well, I have.  A version of `ls' from the University of Illinois called `lz'
had an option that did that.  It also had an option that did directories
recursivly.......

I do think that it is the case that the options to `ls' are not sufficiently
orthogonal.  For example, many times I have wanted to print out just the file
size in bytes and the name, and I can't do it easily.  In retrospect, it would
have been better to have a set of options that controlled which colums were
to be printed and another set to specify which columns should be sorted.  Or
is that too obvious?
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg at ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg at nosc.ARPA