New Book Describes Writing Unix Drivers

Bruce Karsh karsh at geowhiz.UUCP
Thu Aug 22 10:03:37 AEST 1985

We just received a copy of the book "Guide to Writing a Unix Driver" from
Masscomp.  It describes in pretty much detail how to write a Unix driver.
There is a lot of information that is specific to Masscomp's enhancements
to Unix for real-time operation.  But most of the stuff in the book would
probably apply to most any Unix system.

The book includes templates for writing drivers, and there are a lot of
examples.  There is a summary of all the .h files used by drivers.  There
are man pages for system routines, e.g. spl7.

We paid $135.00 for Masscomp product OEMPAK-500.  This includes both
"CPU Reference Manual" & "Guide to Writing Unix Device Drivers."

This looks like a nice way to learn about device drivers.  I don't know
what restrictions Masscomp has on this publication.  The title page says:

    The software described in this document is furnished under license
    and may be used or copied only in accordance with the terms of such
    license and with the inclusion of the copyright notice shown on this
    page.  Neither the software, this document, nor any copies thereof
    may be provided or otherwise made available to anyone other than
    the licensee.  Title to and ownership of this software remains with
    Massachusetts Computer Corporation (MASSCOMP) or with its licensor.

Masscomp's address is:

  Masscomp
  1 Technology Park
  Westford, MA 01886

I am not affiliated with Masscomp. Unix is a trademark of Bell Telephone
Laboratories, inc.  Masscomp is a trademark of Massachusetts Computer
Corporation.
--

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics