system will not shutdown

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Sun Feb 17 14:18:56 AEST 1985

In article <93600004 at siemens.UUCP> jcc at siemens.UUCP writes:
>	Shutdown starts, gives back its pid number, then just hangs there
>	forever.  A "ps" of the pid shows the state "I <".  Has anyone
>	else had this problem?  Is /etc/shutdown waiting for a resource it
>	can not get?  As always, all suggestions or comments are welcomed.

I've seen this occasionally. What seems to be happening is that the 'wall'
that shutdown does hangs on a terminal for some reason and doesn't ever
complete, and the shutdown never moves beyond that. I'm not sure why it
should hang on the wall (^Q?) and I've never been motivated to find it--
that is what 'kill 1 1' is for...

chuq

--
>From left field, near the warning track:          Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA

Even though a poem be a thousand words, but made up of senseless words, one word
of a poem is better, which if a man hears, he becomes quiet. --The Dhammapada