using ARP request to deal with routing

J. Noel Chiappa JNC at MIT-XX.ARPA
Fri Feb 22 12:15:26 AEST 1985

	This is the WRONG THING. The Internet Working Group is
about to adopt a standard which advises against doing this. The
discussion is almost done, and I expect the standard will be
out soon.
	The problem is that ARP was never meant to be a routing
protocol, and there are a lot of failure modes that can't be fixed
without modifying the ARP spec.
	If you want more detailed arguments about why this is a
complete loss, look at the first chunk of messages in <JNC>SUBNETS.TXT,
on MIT-XX. This file can be retrieved with the 'ANONYMOUS' FTP login.
Draft RFC's about what you should do are in HOST.DOC in the
same place.
	Any replies to me, personally, please: I am no longer on
unix-wizards.
		Noel
-------