using ARP request to deal with routing

martin levy martin at sabre.UUCP
Wed Feb 20 12:53:12 AEST 1985

I am looking for some clues as to the usage of ARP requests
to deal with routing in IP networks. i have heard about it and
would like to hear if anyone can give me some more leads.

What ones does is not bother to check if the IP address is on
local network and just send out an ARP request anyway. Then the
correct gateway will send an ARP responce back. With this scheme
there is no need to have routing code in 'workstations', you only
need to have in in gateways.

any pointers (or code) would be useful.

Martin Levy
Bellcore.

PS. should there be an RFC on this, plase can someone send it.