setting TERM on System Vr2

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Feb 18 05:23:16 AEST 1985

> The question:  setting TERM for hardwired terminals.
> Now, we are running an HP9000, not quite Vr2 and not the native
> OS besides.  However, what it does do is run shell scripts faster
> than anything I am familiar with.  So we have a case `tty` in
> in /etc/profile, and viola.  For our dialup port the corresponding
> case reads:  echo "TERM=\c"
> 	     read TERM

One small problem: if pw->pw_shell for a user is not /bin/sh or /bin/rsh,
it doesn't read /etc/profile.  You can modify /bin/csh to read something
like /etc/login instead (pick another name for Sys3, because "login" moved
temporarily to "/etc" for the duration of S3).  However, this doesn't
help if your login shell is, say, /op/programs/shell (our OA system) -
it's not anything even remotely resembling a regular command interpreter,
so there's no such thing as a profile file for it.  If you run several
canned applications like that, or worse yet if you run a specialized
*login* program on some terminals (which is possible given the way that
the S3 and S5 "init" work), it's simply not worth the trouble to modify
*every* one of them to set TERM.  Better to set it in some centralized
place.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy