setting TERM on System Vr2

John Ruschmeyer john at moncol.UUCP
Mon Feb 18 11:38:03 AEST 1985

>> > Anyone know of a good method to keep TERM information for System V?
>> > I know that you can type TERM=xxx when typing your login
>> > name, but we have a lot of hardwired terminals, and it would be
>> > more convenient to have that terminal types kept in a file and
>> > have it be set automatically.
>>
>> Step 1 - rip "login" so that it doesn't destroy the environment it's
>> given, but adds to it.
>>
>> Step 2 - make your "inittab" lines look like:
>>
>> 	hb::respawn:env TERM=vt100 /etc/getty ttyhb 9600	# Console VT100
>Or put a test in the .profile
>
>if [ `tty` = "/dev/tty??" ]
>then
>	TERM=5620	# or whatever
>fi

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious (we run v7), but why not this:

1) Set up a file with a name like '/etc/ttynames'. It contains lines
	of the form:

		tty1	adm3a
		tty2	5620
		.
		.
		.

2) Run the following shell script from the .profile

	a=`tty`
	b=`basename $a`
	awk '$1='$b' {print $2}' /etc/ttynames

I may be a bit off on the awk invocation, but you should get the idea. This
is how we did it here.

--
	John Ruschmeyer			...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john
	Monmouth College		   ...!princeton!moncol!john

"Everybody knows in the second life,
    We all come back sooner or later.
 As anything from a pussy cat,
    To a man-eating alligator."