yacc: public domain?

Gene Spafford spaf at gatech.UUCP
Fri Feb 8 07:01:05 AEST 1985

> Article <185 at thunder.UUCP>, from gamiddleton at thunder.UUCP (Guy Middleton)
> Are you saying that *anybody* who uses a system should be made to sign a
> non-disclosure agreement?  I doubt that any university (with several hundred
> students on a typical Unix machine) could force all of them to sign any such
> thing.

Here at Georgia Tech, for at least the last 3 or 4 years, anyone getting
an account on one of the research machines with source available is
required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.  The agreement is basically
a reproduction of the part of the license governing non-disclosure, and
a statement that they had read and understood it, and would abide by it.
Everybody, including faculty, signs it.

One the other hand, on the Pyramid where we run only binaries and
no source is available, so the campus department administering it
doesn't require any signatures.  That may soon change, however, since
we want to get source on that machine.  If it means getting hundreds
of students to sign a non-disclosure agreemen, we will.  Our lawyers
here are rather touchy about things like that.
--
Gene "6 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332