Wanted: Long Identifier Hunter

Donn Seeley donn at utah-gr.UUCP
Tue Jan 29 16:51:14 AEST 1985

	From: shawn at mit-eddie.UUCP (Shawn McKay)

	I am looking for something to run over broken BSD software,
	that will aid me in finding [long identifier clashes]...

[If the software is broken, then why are you stealing it?]

Rather than write your own long-identifier detector or borrow some
bug-ridden net.sources hack, I suggest you make use of a little-known
and (when known) oft-ignored program named 'lint'.

% cat problem.c
main()
{
	DonotUseLongIdentifiersOnSoftwareYouWishToShare();
	DonotUseLongIdentifiersOnSoftwareYouWishToDistribute();
	exit( 0 );
}

DonotUseLongIdentifiersOnSoftwareYouWishToShare()
{
	return;
}

DonotUseLongIdentifiersOnSoftwareYouWishToDistribute()
{
	return;
}
% lint -hp problem.c
problem.c:
donotu multiply declared	problem.c(9)  ::  problem.c(14)
%

Charter member of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Software,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn at utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn