Security, hackers, computer crime

emks at uokvax.UUCP emks at uokvax.UUCP
Mon Jan 7 19:57:00 AEST 1985

/***** uokvax:net.unix-wizar / sask!derek / 11:14 pm  Dec 27, 1984 */
Just wanted to point out that companies are forbidden by law to do complete
background checks on people.  Things like Human Rights Commission in Canada
or the American Civil Liberties [Union] would have a field day in court with
that!

In Canada, you cannot ask for a person's birthday unless they are under 20
(I think) or close to retirement age.  Sex is right out.  Some questions as
to previous employment are okay unless it was in a foreign country (race
discrimination).  I believe that the employer may ask for a social insurance
number (note the word employer is not prefixed by prospective).

I am not faulting human rights legislation, it is needed, but it sure gets
in the way of security screening.  By the way, people like DND (DoD) are
exempt from human rights legislation.
--
Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
{ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-966-4820  0900-1630 CST

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

I might point out (wordsmithing) that companies are not legally forbidden
from performing background checks, but civil rights legislation prohibits
them from performing certain acts which would tend to violate an employee's
civil rights.  (BTW, I am not very familiar with Canada's legal system,
so my comments may not be very useful)

I'm not a legal eagle, but I suspect you could do a bit more checking if
you first established some things like this:

	o That the position to be filled was "sensitive."  The definition
	  of the word "sensitive" should be defined more clearly by attorney-
	  types.

	o The person should understand the exact extent of the investigation,
	  its purpose, weight in the selection process, and the propriety/use
	  of the information.

	o That the person would consent, in writing, to an investigation of
	  the same magnitude which was described.

	o That the investigation is made on all applicants, and not just this
	  one.

	o That clear limits for "acceptable," "to be individually adjudicated,"
	  and "failed" results are used without regard to the individual
	  under investigation.

	o And that the applicant would be qualified for less sensitive
	  positions in the company/organization if he/she declined to
	  allow the investigation, or its results were unacceptable.

Does anyone out there have any ideas/experience in a non-DoD environment?
Gee, the National Security Act of 1947 makes it so EASY...

Have fun.

		kurt