maxusers in config file (4BSD)

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Sat Jan 19 13:31:12 AEST 1985

> Sigh.  ``maxusers'' doesn't limit the number of people who can log in;
> it's supposed to be the largest number of people you expect to be bashing
> away at any one time.  ...
>
> You can have maxusers set to 10 and have 10 thousand people logged in;

In order to comply with AT&T's restrictions on binary licenses, we've
added a maxusers() system call that returns the value from the
config maxusers parameter.  The limit is enforced by login(1),
by counting the numbers of entries in /etc/utmp.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146