Removable Drives for 4.2

Tom Perrine tom at LOGICON.ARPA
Sat Jul 27 08:26:38 AEST 1985

We have been tasked to start configuring a new VAX which will run vanilla
4.2. We have a fairly good idea of what we want, except for disk drives.

For our environment, we will need removable drives.  They need to be
fairly large (i.e.  larger than the RP06s we have on our 11/70).

We have experience with RM05s on a VMS system from several years ago,
at which time RM05 were less than really reliable.

Have RM05s gotten better? Can anyone suggest alternatives? We are fairly
sure that we don't want to have anything to do with HSC-50s and/or RA drives
as we will be doing operating system development and don't want to worry about
those *things* yet. Can anyone offer reliability experience in the CDC9766
(RM05 equiv.)?

Please reply direct, and we will summarize, etc....

Thanks,

Tom Perrine	(tom at logicon)
Bill D'Camp	(bill at logicon)
Logicon - Operating Systems Division