4.2 tip CONNECT features

Jim Ziobro z at rocksvax.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 01:20:54 AEST 1985

I noticed that 4.2 tip had an extra command "~C" to connect a program to the
remote line.  As it was it wasn't very useful since file descriptors 4 and 5
were the remote line after fork.  I changed it so the remote line is file
descriptors 0 and 1 and it seems to open up a whole world of possibilities.

It really seems like this is the logical thing to do.  Has anyone else played
with this section of tip?  We have already hacked tip to "put" and "take"
files to a VMS system and are working on some other systems.  A lot of
ugly hacks to tip could potentially be avoided by using the connect feature.

--
//Z\\
James M. Ziobro