monitoring ttys

Jeff Elman elman at sdcsvax.UUCP
Wed Jul 17 14:43:27 AEST 1985

	> Problem: Users frequently have problems with various application
	> programs, and in order to help them I have to go find them, look
	> over their shoulder while they reproduce the problem.
	>
	> 	Is there anyway I can monitor their i/o from the console
	> terminal, like on CMS (IBM) systems?  (The system administrator can
	> watch a user "conversation" with CMS.)

I have added some code to our tty handler to do this.  It allows
a tty to either share or take over the i/o to/from another tty.

It's a bit of a pain.  In addition to the changes to the tty handler
it involves changing the tty structure, adding a new system call &
entry point, plus the libc.a assist.  I can (relucntantly) supply messy
details if anyone is interested.

By the way, this is under 4.2BSD.

Jeff Elman
Phonetics Lab, UC San Diego
ARPAnet:        elman at ucsd
UUCP:           ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdamos!elman