CLU for SUN Workstations

Sharon E. Perl sharon at mit-rinso
Wed Jul 10 03:29:27 AEST 1985

I am about to start beta-testing a version of the CLU programming
language running on SUN Workstations under 4.2BSD Unix (*). The initial version
will have everything that the VAX and DEC-20 versions have *except* for the
'real' data type, which will be implemented by the end of the summer.

I'd like to hear from people who are interested in participating in the
beta-test --- particularly from those who already have CLU licenses and lots
of existing CLU code to try out (**). Since I may not be able to accomodate
everyone who responds, it would help if you could tell me what you plan
to use SUN CLU for, how many people would be using it, etc. Obviously, I'm
most interested in sites that can give the system a good workout.

If you already have a CLU license, I'll need the U.S. Mail address where the
tape should be sent. If you don't have a license, give me the U.S. Mail
address where the license agreement should be sent. The license
arrangements, which have to go through some sort of MIT administrative
process, will probably take a few weeks to complete. The usual $50 handling
fee will be waived for all sites chosen for the beta-test.

I expect to be able to send out beta-test versions within a month.  I'd like
to send tar format, 1600bpi, standard 1/2" mag-tapes but other arrangements
(eg. SUN cartridge tapes) could be made if necessary (let me know).

SUN CLU should be generally available by the end of the summer.

Sharon E. Perl

ARPANet:    Sharon at MIT-Rinso or Sharon at MIT-XX
US Mail:    Laboratory for Computer Science, Rm. 532
            Massachusetts Institute of Technology
            545 Technology Square
            Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone:      (617) 253-6035

(*) We have SUN-2's running version 1.3 of Sun's operating system. I expect
    that CLU will run under other versions as well.

(**) Only educational institutions or other non-profit institutions will
     be considered for beta-test sites.