instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases

Dave Stewart davest at daemon.UUCP
Fri Jul 19 02:27:34 AEST 1985

In article <2423 at sun.uucp> gnu at sun.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>> ... We do a good job by making darn sure
>> that what we do doesn't break something (like a shell script or worse) and
>> that we spend our efforts spending resources on the most important/needed
>> enhancements first.
>
>By implication that puts all commercial vendors of 4.2BSD systems
>in the "unstable computing environment business"?

	There are also plenty of examples where AT&T adds a BSD feature,
but changes the command or system call name or syntax.  Isn't that
referred to as the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome?  When will AT&T
(and DEC for that matter) realize that UC Berkeley is NOT a competitor?

Stepping down from his soapbox ...
--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group               csnet:   davest at TEKTRONIX