instability in Berkeley versus AT&T releases

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at ucbcad.UUCP
Tue Jul 23 08:09:00 AEST 1985

> > 	There are also plenty of examples where AT&T adds a BSD feature,
> > but changes the command or system call name or syntax.  Isn't that
> > referred to as the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome?  When will AT&T
> > (and DEC for that matter) realize that UC Berkeley is NOT a competitor?
>
> There may be some "NIH" syndrome at work, but you should also appreciate
> that BSD software is not necessarily up to commercial standards, so it
> might need some adaptation before being supported by a commercial outfit.

Oh sure, we can't have functions called "index" and "rindex". That's definitely
not up to commercial standards -- we have to have them called "strchr" and
"strrchr"... Fixing bugs is fine, but it's not usually necessary to make
the stuff incompatible to make it work. *

> Unfortunately, AT&T has been picking up some of the WORST features from
> BSD.  cat -v, ls -[a-z][A-Z], yuck.

I don't know who is holding a gun to your head and making you type "cat -v",
or maybe tying you up and making you watch 'while 1 man ls', but I wouldn't
call these BSD's "worst features"...

	Wayne

* Don't flame me if the index/strchr difference isn't an example of NIH --
  I haven't used V5 much...