deuna driver problems

Steven Bellovin smb at ulysses.UUCP
Sat Jul 13 06:52:24 AEST 1985

> > > I have Lou Salkind's at NYU driver in my 4.2 system and I am having
> > > some difficulties.....
> > >
> > > When I plug it into our normal 3com tranceivers during boot after
> > > it finds the interface it states:
> > >
> > > 	"de0: pcbb failed, csr0=4081<PCEI,INTR> csr1=586<PCTO>
> > > 	 de0: rdphyad failed, csr0=4082<PCEI,INTR> csr1=506< "
>
> > ... Also note that there are bugs in ifconfig's flag-setting
> > that do horrible things to DEUNAs; although I can't fully explain
> > the mechanism, I can testify that fixing ifconfig made some weird
> > behavior on some DEUNAs go away.  It had to do with resetting the
> > RUNNING bit, so the initialization routine was entered twice.
>
> While there indeed were bugs in the 4.2 ifconfig flag setting code,
> that shouldn't have affected the DEUNA; clearly there is a bug in
> that version of the driver.  (The IFF_RUNNING bit is an internal
> bit that really means it has Unibus maps.  It should be set at
> initialization and cleared during Unibus reset.  (Actually IFF_RUNNING
> is an internal flag per driver, but that's what it's supposed to
> mean.))

Sorry, the bug behavior was as described.  I first did blame it on the
driver, but Lou's latest version didn't help.  It seems that what was
happening was that ifconfig was resetting IFF_RUNNING, so a second call
to ifconfig caused the initialization routine to be re-entered, which
caused all manner of strange and wondrous behavior....  The symptom that
sticks in my mind was *very* slow echo when rlogin'ed to that machine.
Like I said, I can't explain it, but the "fix" was obvious...