deuna driver problems

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 09:17:07 AEST 1985

> > I have Lou Salkind's at NYU driver in my 4.2 system and I am having
> > some difficulties.....
> >
> > When I plug it into our normal 3com tranceivers during boot after
> > it finds the interface it states:
> >
> > 	"de0: pcbb failed, csr0=4081<PCEI,INTR> csr1=586<PCTO>
> > 	 de0: rdphyad failed, csr0=4082<PCEI,INTR> csr1=506< "

> ... Also note that there are bugs in ifconfig's flag-setting
> that do horrible things to DEUNAs; although I can't fully explain
> the mechanism, I can testify that fixing ifconfig made some weird
> behavior on some DEUNAs go away.  It had to do with resetting the
> RUNNING bit, so the initialization routine was entered twice.

While there indeed were bugs in the 4.2 ifconfig flag setting code,
that shouldn't have affected the DEUNA; clearly there is a bug in
that version of the driver.  (The IFF_RUNNING bit is an internal
bit that really means it has Unibus maps.  It should be set at
initialization and cleared during Unibus reset.  (Actually IFF_RUNNING
is an internal flag per driver, but that's what it's supposed to
mean.))
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland