deuna driver problems

Steven Bellovin smb at ulysses.UUCP
Thu Jul 11 08:50:25 AEST 1985

> I have Lou Salkind's at NYU driver in my 4.2 system and I am having
> some difficulties.....
>
> When I plug it into our normal 3com tranceivers during boot after
> it finds the interface it states:
>
> 	"de0: pcbb failed, csr0=4081<PCEI,INTR> csr1=586<PCTO>
> 	 de0: rdphyad failed, csr0=4082<PCEI,INTR> csr1=506< "
>
> and continues until multiuser...
>
> When I plug it into our wonderul H4000 DEC tranceivers it finds the
> interface and hangs, the lights on the board seem to indicate
> that it is hanging on a read.

The DEUNA will not work at all with 3Com transceivers.  The 3Com units
are Ethernet 1.0, and hence lack the "heartbeat" signal on the collision
lines; the DEUNA objects strongly to the lack of such a signal.

It's less clear why the H4000s don't work; I'm pretty sure they will fail
if they're not connected to a properly-termianted coax.  Also note that
there are bugs in ifconfig's flag-setting that do horrible things to
DEUNAs; although I can't fully explain the mechanism, I can testify that
fixing ifconfig made some weird behavior on some DEUNAs go away.  It had
to do with resetting the RUNNING bit, so the initialization routine was
entered twice.