Help: socket buffer size

Sylvain Langlois RCG-ARS sylvain at lvbull.UUCP
Tue Jul 16 05:35:35 AEST 1985

I don't think increasing socket buffer size is really necessary. I don't
think there is a socket buffer size either !!.
I've been looking at networking code of 4.2 BSD quite in detail ( I won't
talk about AF_UNIX): and what is done about buffer size is only an
initialization of so_hiwat at the beginning of new TCP connection.
While implementing ISO Transport in 4.2BSD kernel, I increase this
"size" by reserving something like 8K bytes for both queues.
What I fear is that , if ever traffic is going to grow too much, all your
mbufs pool is going to be eaten by socket buffers and some of your process are
going to die because of ENOBUFS (except if your memory is big enough).
I'm running with 30K bytes of mbufs and that even seems short to handle
crisis situation ( like 4 users doing a transfer of /unix to their
neighbours , some others playing with remote talk, well a fairly heavily
loaded machine somehow!)
Maybe another better idea would be increasing the data area of a mbuf?
Any idea?

--
Sylvain "Panic Trap" Langlois
UUCP Address:	(...!mcvax!vmucnam!lvbull!sylvain)