Speeding up the 3B2...

Ross M. Greenberg greenber at timeinc.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 16:24:09 AEST 1985

A friend of mine with Major Buying Power at one of the Major Banks
says that he'll never buy another 3B2 or UNIX system.

Claims that a program (written in CoBlech) takes about two minutes
to run on his vanilla PC-AT and over fifteen minutes to run on the
3B2.

Now I'd like to help him out, since his ditaste for UNIX is based
solely on these psuedo-speed trials and I would like to Enlighten
him.

Could somebody let me know what kind of stuff to look for in the
various configuration files or disk layouts or other stuff so
that I can speed up the 3B2?  Or is it really seven times slower
than the PC-AT?   Or is it juts the compiler implementation?

Thanks.