run queues on Vaxen running Unix

Keith Muller muller at sdcc3.UUCP
Tue Jun 4 17:45:02 AEST 1985

I wish I had saved the line, but in Feb 1983 sdcc3 running 4.1c(?) had
a load of over 125. (Sdcc3 is a 780 with 4 megs 64 ports, ethernet and
had about 2500 active student users). The machine made the local TV news
that week as students were camping out in the terminal rooms with tents
waiting for a terminal port. This load probably went a lot higher, but it
took 50 minutes for that uptime to respond and it was 3am in the morning
and I wasn't going to try another one.
I know if I turned off the load control system the runq would easily top 125
on any one of the student machines here (it is the last week of the quarter
here).
	Keith Muller
	University of California