run queues on Vaxen running Unix

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Jun 1 16:52:23 AEST 1985

> Just curious to know the largest runques observed on Vaxen.  I am running
> on several different Vax 11/780s all running SVR2.  One machine always
> has the largest runques; I take samples via 'sar -q 3 20'; it takes an
> average every 3 seconds for a minute (20 times) and gives an average
> figure.  The worst I had seen before this machine was an average of 17.

For the benefit of BSD people, "runque" ~= "instantaneous load average".
S5R2 keeps two counters; one for the number of loaded processes on the run
queue and one for the number of swapped processes on the run queue.  The
4.2BSD "load average" also includes sleeped or stopped processes sleeping at
a "nonpositive" priority (<= PZERO).  The "total" fields "t_rq" and "t_sq"
correspond to the "runque" and "swpque" values.

	Guy Harris