4.2BSD executables -> Ultrix-32

Pete Kaiser, HLO2-1/N10 225-5441 kaiser at jaws.DEC
Thu Jun 6 12:18:56 AEST 1985

systems on all VAXen, including Ultrix-32m on the MicroVAX II, I've been asked
whether 4.2BSD executables can be expected to run under Ultrix-32.  My immediate
response was to think "Why, of course they can!", but in a moment of good sense
I checked with a principal Ultrix developer:

	I'd guess that 4.2BSD/VAX executables can be transported to Ultrix-32
	and be expected to run, with some caveats.  Right?  If so, what's the
	gist of the caveats?

I quote from his reply (thanks, RJL):

	In general, most programs should be okay.  Watch out for those that look
	at kernel data structures while the system is running.  An example of
	those types of programs is ps, pstat, adb, dbx....

It's worth remembering, however, that this doesn't constitute a commitment, and
that Digital has developments of its own, motives of its own, and responds to a
market of its own, that aren't identical to those of the developers of BSD.  Nor
should they be.

---Pete

Kaiser%JAWS.DEC at decwrl.arpa, Kaiser%BELKER.DEC at decwrl.arpa
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jaws!kaiser
DEC, 77 Reed Road (HLO2-1/N10), Hudson MA 01749		617/568-5441