Do you believe in MAGIC?

Boyd Roberts boyd at basser.oz
Tue Jun 18 23:46:28 AEST 1985

In article <2314 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:

>I.e., a debugger that runs in the same address space as the program being
>debugged?  If a debugger running outside that address space uses "ptrace" to
>write to the code space, the code will be made non-sharable (unless it's
>already being shared) and briefly made writable while the word in the code
>space is changed.

We have a debugger that runs in the address space of the debugged
program.  It understands C (at the source level) and leaves adb, sdb
and dbx for dead.  However it is VAX specific.  It's called 'bedbug'.
It boots itself and the debugged program inside the one process. There
are no nasty kernel hacks needed to support it.

We use it and it works.  The others are only useful to see that r11
has a bad pointer in it.  Real bugs require 'bedbug'.

But, with V8 you've got 'pi'.  THE blit debugger!  Those nasty bugs
won't stand a chance.  Those clever lads at research have done well.

Boyd Roberts.
...!decvax!mulga!basser.oz!boyd
...!seismo!munnari!basser.oz!boyd		(better).