Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shell (really job control..)

Arnold Robbins arnold at gatech.CSNET
Thu Jun 6 08:42:52 AEST 1985

> > Is the source for job control available?
>
> Yes, Ron's job control module is available for the asking,
> BUT there are quite a few pieces of the Bourne shell that
> have to be modified too.  (They are all flagged with
> #ifdef JOBS in our sources.) [....]
>
> P.S.  I think Arnold Robbins of Georgia Tech was intending
> to post these and other Bourne shell enhancements soon..

Yes indeed, I am planning on posting the changes that BRL made, plus
a bunch more, probably late tomorrow.  They will be posted to mod.sources,
which is forwarded into the UNIX-SOURCES at BRL Arpanet mailing list.

I will post a more detailed announcement in this group once I have sent
the postings on to the moderator at mod.sources.  There will be about 9 (!)
postings, for two reasons. One, I am posting context diffs for three
versions of the Bourne shell (Vanilla 4.2 BSD, System V Release 2, and
the S5R2 shell that comes with BRL Unix), and Two, to make sure each
article is less than 64K in size.

BSD Bourne shell users, and System V sites who don't have Ksh, just be
patient a little longer, it will be worth the wait! :-)
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold at gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, allegra, hplabs, ihnp4, seismo, ut-sally }!gatech!arnold

How come nobody likes good ideas when they don't come up with them?