Xenix 286 & Graphics

Steve Harpster steve at tellab3.UUCP
Thu Jun 6 05:31:01 AEST 1985

Has anyone figured out a way to do color graphics under Xenix 286 (on the
IBM-PC/AT)?  I'm currently working on a driver to do it but things
are quite a bit tricky when running under protected mode on the 80286.
Specifically, I want to change the video mode and write directly to
display memory (address 0xb8000).

As a related issue, Xenix sets the video mode to medium resolution.
We have an EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adaptor) which doesn't like it.
When you boot Xenix, the text is unreadable.  It looks like the
horizontal scan rate is wrong.  You can flip a dipswitch on the EGA
to emulate the CGA but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying the
EGA in the first place.  Does anyone know a boot hack to tell it
to leave the adaptor alone?  IBM claims ignorance with a "Sorry but
we don't support it yet".

Many thanks in advance.

--

...ihnp4!tellab1!steve