Int. Sys V crypt() algorithm

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Jun 8 11:45:35 AEST 1985

> > AT&T produced a new encrypt() algorithm for their "international version"
> > of System V which provides encryption only.  Does anyone know what
> > algorithm is used in this new scheme, in comparison to the almost-but-not-
> > quite DES algorithm used in earlier versions of UNIX?
> >
> > Is the new algorithm still based on DES?

I believe it's still DES based but has been "crippled" so that the Russkies
can't get a hold of DES technology :-(.

> My System V manual says:
> "Crypt implements a one-rotor machine designed along the lines of the
> German Enigma, but with a 256-element rotor."
>
> This says to me that the old Crypt algorithm was not based on DES.

Different other "crypt".  There's the "crypt" routine, which is DES-based
(at least in pre-stupid-export-control UNIX and in domestic System V) and
the "crypt" command which is rotor-based (and has been cracked, but it's
*still* not available in international System V).

	Guy Harris