Int. Sys V crypt() algorithm

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Tue Jun 18 10:20:54 AEST 1985

In article <2284 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>> > AT&T produced a new encrypt() algorithm for their "international version"
>> > of System V which provides encryption only.  Does anyone know what
>> > algorithm is used in this new scheme, in comparison to the almost-but-not-
>> > quite DES algorithm used in earlier versions of UNIX?
>> >
>> > Is the new algorithm still based on DES?
>
>I believe it's still DES based but has been "crippled" so that the Russkies
>can't get a hold of DES technology :-(.

Close, but not quite.  There is an export restriction on programs
that can *decrypt* DES, but not on those that can *encrypt*.  Removing
setkey() is sufficient to meet the export requirements.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146