Int. Sys V crypt() algorithm

Jim Shankland jas at rtech.UUCP
Wed Jun 12 04:03:12 AEST 1985

> > AT&T produced a new encrypt() algorithm for their "international version"
> > of System V which provides encryption only....  Is the new algorithm
> > still based on DES?
> > --
> > /Steve Dyer
> > {decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer
> > sdyer at bbnccv.ARPA
>
> My System V manual says:
> "Crypt implements a one-rotor machine designed along the lines of the
> German Enigma, but with a 256-element rotor."
>
> This says to me that the old Crypt algorithm was not based on DES.
>
> -- Mark
> ihnp4!ihlpm!mcb

Just in case no-one else responds:

	crypt(1) is the one-rotor Enigma-like thingy.  crypt(3), which
includes encrypt() and setkey(), and is used for password encryption, IS
based on DES.  And I, too, would like to know what AT&T uses in its
international System V.  Anybody know?

Jim Shankland
..!ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!jas
..!ihnp4!pegasus!rtech!jas