remote logins not showing up in 'w' command

ben ben at cernvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 14 04:32:36 AEST 1985

    There's a nasty in the "login" program which produces the effect you
talk about UNLESS THE TELNET/RLOGIN SERVERS ARE LAUNCHED BY ROOT!! If they
are started from rc.local and both server objects are owned by root, you
should be OK, but if not you are going to get your problem. Another side
effect you'll notice is that instead of prompting "login:" the first time
a client talks to the server, it prompts "Password:"...
   I've played a lot with my own versions of telnet recently and observed
this -- hope it helps your case.

        Ben M. Segal,  CERN-DD,  1211 Geneva 23,  Switzerland.
               (ben at cernvax  -- via mcvax)