remote logins not showing up in 'w' command

David Ferguson ferg at fred.UUCP
Fri Jun 14 07:06:10 AEST 1985

> Wh have recently installed an ethernet consisting of Interlan NA1010A
> UNIBUS controller modules to connect a VAX 11/785 to a VAX 11/780, both
> are running 4.2BSD.  I have gotten all of the configuration files
> updated properly (I think...) like /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, /etc/rc, etc.
>
> OK.... So here's the problem.  When I rlogin to the second VAX and do a
> 'w' or 'who' command, the user logged into the pseudo terminal from the
> network does not show up in the list.  I can use the 'ps' command and see
> the user's processes having a pty for a controlling terminal but the
> /etc/utmp and /usr/adm/wtmp files are not being updated when the rlogin
> occurs.
>
> 						Steve Herber
> 						bgsuvax!herber

I had the same problem recently with logins for a window system.  The problem
is caused by ttyslot(3) failing to find a line in /etc/ttys, and therefore login
will not write into utmp.  The solution: just add lines to /etc/ttys that look
like '00ttyp0', '00ttyp1', etc.  Should fix it.

David Ferguson
Integrated Solutions, Inc.
(An NBI Company)
{hao | allegra | ucbvax}!nbires!ferg