Can something like Script be done in System V?

Brent P. Callaghan brent at phoenix.UUCP
Thu Jun 20 11:04:42 AEST 1985

> Well System V wizards, how do you do a front end program that has total
> terminal control even over a raw mode "application" like vi.
> Some programs don't like to be piped at, so they have to fooled somehow.

Have you tried

	tee stdin | vi something | tee stdout

It captures the I/O despite it being raw - and vi doesn't seem
to mind a bit i.e. you can't tell the tees are there!

It seems that vi's ioctl calls to get into raw mode affect
the reads and writes of tee!

The shell checks whether its reading from a tty and omits
the PS1 prompts.

        tee stdin | sh | tee stdout

is rather difficult to use.
--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ